WELCOME TO RECEPTION
Class Teacher: Miss Chloe-Rose Normanton
Teaching Assistant: Clare Duck
Here is some useful information about this half term and an overview of what we will be learning about!
Down on the Farm
Our topic is ‘Down on the Farm’ and we will be looking at different farm stories and learning all about farm animals! For a couple of weeks this half term, we are going to have some chick eggs in class and be able to observe them hatching! We will also be going to visit Meanwood farm!
Our focus books this half term are going to be What the Ladybird Heard, Life Cycle of a Chick, Captain Duck and Pig in the Pond.
We will be learning the following phonics sounds:
- ‘ar’ as in arm
- ‘or’ as in fork
- ‘ur’ as in purse
- ‘ow’ as in owl
- ‘oi’ as in oil
- ‘ear’ as in ear
- ‘air’ as in hair
- ‘er’ as in builder
- ‘er’ as in herbs
- ‘ue’ as in rescue
- ‘ue’ as in glue
- ‘ure’ as in pure
- ‘ture’ as in picture
This half term, we will be learning about:
- Shapes – describing and sorting 2D and 3D shapes.
- Numbers within 15 – these numbers are 10 and … more.
- Patterns – recognising, completing and creating patterns.
- Weight and capacity
Understanding the World:
On the Farm
- Learn about the range of animals found on a farm through reading and a visit to Hesketh Farm Park.
- Begin to sort animals into groups based on their observations.
- Watch the development of eggs to chicks in class and record what they observe.
- Learn about changes of matter through melting chocolate.
PE will continue on a Wednesday afternoon. Some children are still not bringing a PE kit. Please make sure children have their PE kit on Wednesdays (white t-shirt and black shorts) and that it is NAMED. We are going to start doing PE on the pitch (weather dependant) so please ensure children are wearing trainers on Wednesdays. This half term we will be looking at controlling large and small balls.
We are going to focus a lot on discussions about positive behaviour, being good friends and our class rules. We will be using ‘Good to be Green’ as part of our daily routines.
- Play and Learn sessions will continue on Wednesday 26th April. This will be the last half term of these sessions, so please do try and come along!
- Bradley Bear and the Snuggle Pack will continue to be sent home every Friday.
- Show and Share sessions will continue on Tuesday 18th April. Please upload any photos of your Easter adventure onto Dojo!
- We will be looking for a parent volunteer to come with us to Hesketh Farm. If you would be interested, please let me know ASAP. If there is interest from more than one parent, the volunteer will be randomly selected.
Here are your ‘dates for the diary’ this half term.
- Monday 24th April – We are going to have some chick eggs in class, and be able to watch them hatch!
- Monday 1st May – Bank Holiday (school is closed).
- Monday 8th May – Bank Holiday (school is closed).
- Tuesday 16th May – Visit to Meanwood Farm.
- Friday 26th May – Last day of this half term.
- We would like a parent volunteer to come on our trip, please let me know ASAP if you would be able to come!
If you have any questions, please do ask or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reception Class Teacher