What is the role of the Governing Body?
The governing body have responsibility for raising school standards through their three core strategic functions of:
a. Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
b. holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils;
c. overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money well spent.
It works in close and balanced partnership with the Headteacher, who is responsible for day to day management issues. There are 14 governors including the Head teacher, a staff governor, two parent governors, an LA governor and nine co-opted governors.
Who are the School Governors?
There are different types of governors listed on the governing body.
The Headteacher always has the choice to be a member of the governing body. Our Parent Governors are elected by parents and carers of pupils registered at school. Our local authority governor is appointed by the Local Authority (Leeds city council). Our Staff governor is a paid member of staff who has been elected by the staff.
- Chair of Governing Body: Rachel Muers
- Vice-Chair of Governing Body: Nik Rutherford
- Head of School: Amy Houldsworth (Acting)
- Staff Governor: Jo Ward
- Emma King
- Nick McLoughlin
- Rachel Muers
- Lee Arnell
(Governors who have been appointed for the skills and expertise they bring to the Governing Body)
Local Authority Governor:
- Nik Rutherford
- Liz Singleton
- Joe Wilson
(An Associate Member is not a Governor, but has been voted in by the other Governors to be part of meetings, due to their specific expertise and skills)
Governors' Register of Interests
|Name||Date of Appointment||Term Ends||Business Interest||Other establishments governed||Relationships with staff or other members of the Governing Body|
|Jo Ward||1.9.22||31.8.26||Spelling Shed||None||None|
|Liz Singleton||23.2.23||22.2.27||None||Chair of Governors at Middleton St Mary's CE Primary School||None|
|Joe Wilson||20.7.23||19.7.27||Employed by Owlcotes Multi Academy Trust (OMAT)||Observer at Primrose Hill PS, Calverley Parkside PS, Armley Park PS, OMAT Trust||None|
The full governing body meets five times a year.
There are special committees, convened only when required
- Headteacher’s Performance Management/Pay Committee: Lee Arnell, Rachel Muers
Some governors also have special responsibilities:
- Child protection / LAC governor: Emma King
- SEND governor: TBC
- Attendance: Emma King
- Complaints Governor: Rachel Muers
- Health and Safety Governor: Rachel Muers
- Pupil Premium Governor: TBC
- EYFS Governor:Rachel Muers
- Equalities Governor:Jo Ward
- Staff Wellbeing Governor: Rachel Muers
Some of our Governors are linked to areas of the curriculum:
- English: Rachel Muers
- Maths: TBC
- Wider Curriculum: TBC
We have a rolling programme of reviewing all the school policies. Many policies are available on this website and all policies can be viewed by contacting the Headteacher, Miss Houldsworth at the school or via email at email@example.com
How can I become a School Governor?
If you'd like to find out more about being a school governor and which schools have vacancies there are a number of ways to do so:
- You can contact a school directly to ask if they need a new governor.
- You can contact Governors for Schools https://governorsforschools.org.uk/
- You can contact Leeds City Council https://www.leeds.gov.uk/schools-and-education/school-governor
- National Governance Association https://www.nga.org.uk/about/become-a-governor-trustee/
If you wish to contact the governors, you can speak to them directly or leave a message for any of them at the school office on (0113) 204 3120.